According to the World Health Organization, mental wellness is defined as “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”
Mental health describes someone’s emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Our mental health affects our eating habits, level of physical activity, substance use behaviors, and how we think, feel, and cope with difficult situations. We encounter mental health every single day. A person’s mental health is just as important as their physical health, and mental health conditions are just as real as physical illnesses. It is important to keep this in mind during your conversations and interactions with others.
Mental health is made up of emotional, social, and psychological wellness. Having positive mental health is valuable and helpful in a lot of ways including:
Like physical health, one great thing about mental health is that with some work, you can improve it! There are many things you can do to work on developing more positive mental health. Here are some steps you can take to help improve your mental health.
Trying to stay mentally healthy can be difficult and doesn’t always work, especially during times of high stress or grief. Take a look at these common mental health conditions to learn more.
Other Resources on Mental Health
- Mental Health America (MHA) – The 10 Tools for Mental Health.
- Healthline.com – 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Stress.
- Brainline.org – Stress Management: How to Reduce, Prevent, and Cope with Stress.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) blog – Ways to Manage and Cope with Stress.
- Centers for Disease and Prevention (CDC) – Participant Guide to Managing Stress.
- Verywellmind.com – What is Mindfulness Meditation?
- Pocketmindful.com – 6 Mindfulness Exercises You Can Try Today.
- Verywellmind.com – Effective Stress Relievers for Your Life.
- Verywellmind.com – How to Practice Progressive Muscle Relaxation: A Step-by-Step Plan to Relax Your Body.
- Verywellmind.com – 5 Self-care Practices for Every Area of Your Life.