Soon, Texas will have the largest population of veterans in the nation. There is a wide range of behavioral health concerns that can affect veterans including anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and traumatic brain injury.
Fortunately, there are many resources designed specifically to meet the needs of veterans coping with these difficulties.
For more information on veterans’ mental health, please call or visit:
- Veterans Crisis Chat.
- The Texas Veterans Portal connects veterans, their families, and caregivers to the benefits and services earned through their military service.
- TexVet.org for general information and resources for Texas veterans.
- Texas Veterans Commission works to advocate for and provide superior service to all Texas veterans.
- Texas Veterans Commission Resources.
- TexVet.org search to find local Texas counseling services by county.
- The Texas Veterans and Family Alliance Grant Program.
- Wounded Warrior Project.
- Report on Short-Term Action Plan to Prevent Veteran Suicides.
- Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention.
- The Texas Veterans Commission Grant Assistance information.
- The National Veterans Affairs website for general information and resources.
- The National Veterans Affairs Mental Health website.
- Military Veteran Peer Network.
- Women Veterans Call Center: 1-855-VA-WOMEN.
- Help for Homeless Veterans: 877-4AID-VET, (877) 424-3838 or visit va.gov/homeless.
- Veterans Affairs site for mental health for LGBT+ Veterans.
- Veterans Affairs site for friends and family members of veterans.
- PREVENTS – The President’s Roadmap to Empower Veterans and End a National Tragedy of Suicide.
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) & Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI):
- The Veterans Affairs Center for PTSD OR Call 1-800-273-8255 and press “1” if you are a Veteran OR chat online with a counselor.
- Veterans Affairs for information on VA programs and services designed specifically to treat veterans with TBI.
- No cost PTSD and TBI services for Veterans at Operation VetsHaven: 571-388-8308.